Saturday, August 23, 2008

Birthday Taco Bar


Well, the Birthday's were celebrated with a fun lunch.  I made a "Taco Bar" and the girls made a delicious birthday cake (for a later post).  The quilt was well received! 
The Taco Bar idea was our back up plan, as I had originally planned a lobster roll lunch.  I discovered that they celebrated earlier in the week with the lobster rolls, so I went to plan B.
The Taco Bar worked out very well.  It could easily be made more elegant, more spicy (caliente!) or even more kid-friendly.
Even though it was a bit of a party, I transported the food 1 hour from home, so I packed it to fit in coolers and in travel bins.  I realize the pics don't look great, but trust me, it was better looking in person and it was quite the spread.
I make 2 types of protein, seasoned taco beef and plain roasted chicken that I placed in separate bowls.  I had a stack of tortillas, a platter of tomatoes, olives, onions, lettuce and avocados.  I had two bowls of cheese, seriously sharp cheddar and a mexican blend.  I had a jar of jalapeno slices and sour cream. 
Allie made a pan of delicious cornbread and Jackie made a beautiful fruit salad.
The lunch buffet was brilliant.  It was a lot of fun.
If I wanted to dress up the buffet a little more, I would add seasoned pork, potted beef and sauteed peppers, guacamole and tomatillo salsa.  I would serve it on prettier dishes and platters.
But the overall effect was relaxed and fun.  Perfect for entertaining.  Since 90% of the work can be done ahead of time and just heating the proteins and tortilla's before serving, it was great fun.

No comments: