Saturday, August 02, 2008

More Organizing Techniques

My last post on organizing summed up my feelings on how soothing a organized home can be for me.  But the real trick, the time saver, ultimately, is to think of things differently in order to be organized.
Think of shelves, drawers, cupboards and spaces as the first layer in maintaining an organized space.  Just because the particular space is there, does not mean that something should be placed in it.  Secondly, whatever needs to live there, needs to be "clothed".
Things need to have their own space, be labeled and be contained.

This means, don't just place things in a drawer.  For example, my often used drawer in my bathroom has been organized for years without me even working at it! (This is miraculous for me).  My secret, or the reason for this...
It is a designated space.  I keep my hairbrush, nail clippers, toothpaste, earrings, lip balm, etc.
The drawer is tiny, no more than 9" across and close to 22 inches deep.  I originally, never gave it much thought to organize, but the drawer was spaced in a way that made it easy for these things.  I immediately purchased a small drawer organizer, the kind with separate compartments.  The width is perfect for the drawer, it is about 7.125" across, which leaves just over an inch of space. It is about 15 inches long, which is perfect because I have almost never used boxes in the back of the drawer that hold very rarely used things.
My drawer needs to be cleaned more often than I do, to remove hair, lint and dust.  But, I never have to look for any of those things that I use daily. I also never overfill the drawer-- I keep extra toothpastes, lip balms, etc in another cupboard.

No comments: