Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I am Reading - Minor spoilers- plot explained


True to form, this book and the circumstances of my reading it were a comedy of errors.   In short- great, great book for my current mood!  A little treat to make the day special.

First off, this book is the last (or most current) in the series, the "Sookie Stackhouse" character.  So, I came into this book unaware of established characters, character development etc.
Secondly, the setting takes place current day Lousiana, post Katrina, but with vampires, werewolves, fairies and telepaths part of everyday life....even regulated by the government.
So, this aspect took a little suspending of my imagination.  
That being said, it was a very fun book!
The main character, Sookie, is a waitress with telepathy.  She is friends (with benefits) with were-folk, vampires and part fairy.
She is a warm character, down to earth, friendly and realistic.  She finds herself in trouble, but not due to being flighty or stupidity.  She also finds herself a hero, but not due to crazy circumstances, but due to her courage and quick thinking.
I loved the book.
It wasn't dark and depressing and it wasn't slapstick (think Buffy).  I am now actively pursuing finding the other Sookie books.

No comments: