Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Eve's Eve.....





This is my favorite day leading up to Christmas.  It isn't Christmas Eve, so there is still a day to savor the holiday before it is over.
For the past two days, I have been running around doing a zillion things.  One of my favorite, one that I am thoroughly enjoying, though is baking.
I have always liked baking, enjoyed the precision of it, tinkering with the flavors and the recipes, trying new things, redoing old favorites...
This year, I am going all out.
I am making an odd combination of old favorites, new trendy recipes and traditional fare...
So far, I have made Marshmallow Krispies, with the fun variation of using 3 parts Rice Krispies, 1 part colorful cereal and 2 parts marshmallow.  I have never used any cereal besides rice krispies, so it was a fun new experiment.... the result- hmmmm. I will definitely make them again, but the flavor is new. The addition of the colorful sickly sweet cereal, artificially sweetened, adds a new dimension.
The next two pics show the "traditional" Christmas cookie that Jon's family loves.  Jon's mother would make them, frost them and then hang them on the tree.  It is a sugar cookie, made with 2 tsp vanilla and 1 1/2 tsp rum.  The additional alcohol gives it a tougher crumb, which is nice for hanging on a tree and for holding up the buttercream frosting.  This cookie is pure indulgence and were fun to frost and decorate.  I kept it simple and used 3 shapes, (ball, mitten and ornament) and 2 colors frosting (white, red, green).  I enjoyed making them and on Christmas Eve, I will hang them from the tree.
The last photo is a pic of the latest trend...cake balls.  They are precious.  They look and taste like truffles.  They are made with a cake, frosting and chocolate, but in a new way.  I will give recipes soon.
I have also made more Chocolate Chex from my Dec 15th post, Ginger Sticks, which are highly unusual and great!
I plan on making peanut brittle and a treat for Christmas Dinner involving ice cream....
Can't wait. 

1 comment:

piera said...

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!! See you at New Years'!