Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Roast Rib Eye of Beef



For two years in a row, I made roast rib eye for Christmas Dinner and Dad sliced it for us.
The beef was delicious both years.  I attribute it to purchasing it at Shaws in Concord AND the preparation...  Easy, but time consuming, but WELL WORTH IT!
For 6 people, I got a 5.5 pound roast.  I purchased it on a Monday I took it home, placed it directly in another plastic grocery bag (keeping the original wrapping on) and placed it in a very cold refrigerator for 3 days (Thursday) until I was ready to cook it.  Because it was so cold but not freezing where it was stored, it took 3 hours to come to room temperature.  Do not skimp on this.  Allow it to "warm up" before it is placed in the oven.
Heat oven to 500 degrees.
I did a brief inspection of the roast and trimmed away some of the thick fat.  Do not remove all the fat, but I didn't want a lot of fat.
I prepared the roasting pan, (a pan and a grate) by layering foil on the bottom (simply for easy cleanup)  I greased the top pan with olive oil and placed about 8 unpeeled cloves of garlic on it, as a bed for the roast.
I unwrapped the roast and rubbed it with salt and pepper on all exposed sides. (Some people cut slits in the meat and stuff it with garlic spikes...)
Place the roast on top of the bed of garlic.
Roast at 500 degrees for 45 minutes
Then bake at 325 for 4 minutes per pound of meat - (For a 5.5 pound roast, this was 22 minutes).
Then roast at 450 for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven, cover with parchment paper then foil and allow to rest for 20 - 30 minutes.
I wanted an internal temperature of 140....
Dad sliced it perfectly and I placed 4 slices in the oven for M & Jon who like their meat well done.  Dad poured the excess au jus over the beef and it was heavenly.

Our meat was medium rare- medium... some people prefer it less cooked, some more. It was delicious.

No comments: