Saturday, December 20, 2008

Seasonal Flavors


I love "seasonal" flavors, things that are indicative of the holidays or time of year-- pumpkin for Thanksgiving, peppermint for Christmas, potato salad for the 4th of July.  These things can be made all year long, but they are reminiscent of each particular season.  I love it when restaurants (particularly the chains) add a festive touch to their menus-- fun!  Like peppermint hot cocoa (OK, that one is overused, but you get the idea).
So, this year, I have been trying to compile a list of peppermint recipes of which I want to try.  I will post more on this as the recipes are tested....

What flavors do you think of when you think of "seasonal"? Help me add to this list....

Valentines - deep, rich chocolate
St. Patrick's Day - Irish Soda Bread, Corned Beef & Cabbage, Irish Coffee
Summer - berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, lemonade
Autumn - apple, pumpkin, apple pie, apple cider, apple crisp
Thankgiving - pumpkin, cranberry, 
Christmas - peppermint, white chocolate, eggnog

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Autumn - apple pie vs. apple cider, two different flavors! I also think of strawberry for Valentine's day, maybe it's just strawberries dipped in chocolate! Did you have lemonade for summer? That's another one.

DannyB said...

Good ones!
D

DamianC said...

I only think on eggnog as a winter flavor, more specifically Christmas time, around this time I crave the flavor but once the new year starts it goes away

piera said...

Daniela,
Always around St. Patrick's Day, I think of the smell of Gram's Irish Soda Bread baking in the oven. I also agree with Damian about Eggnog.

DannyB said...

These are all great ideas!