Thursday, February 19, 2009

Arugula Salad


Arugula is a delicate but peppery lettuce that has a mildly bitter flavor.
It isn't tough, but it has character.
Some people love bitter greens and my tastes have changed, I am really starting to appreciate their flavor.  I loved cooked bitter greens (kale, chard, broccoli rape) but raw greens are a new flavor that I appreciate.
A lot of salad recipes pair arugula with lemon.  It is a delicious combination.  Vinegar with arugula is also quite divine.  For Valentine's Day, I wanted a peppery salad that would be light to counter the timballo, so I made a lemon dressing, added green onions, grape tomatoes and sliced radishes.  The salad had a flavor all its own and was fantastic.
Arugula Salad
4 oz arugula
6 -8 sliced radishes
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/4 cup white vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup +/- olive oil
salt & pepper

For dressing - combine vinegar and lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper, whip in the olive oil to taste.  Set aside
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.  Toss with dressing, season with salt and pepper again

(in the photo, I topped the salad with tortilla strips-- not necessary)

No comments: