Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Woodbine Cottage




The Woodbine Cottage was located in Sunapee Harbor.  We loved to go there for Sunday breakfasts and even one time, I saved up enough money to take Gram for lunch for a belated birthday.  As kids we loved the chocolate milk with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, the tender baked beans that were served with breakfast/brunch and the chicken pot pie.
Also, I loved their gift shop.  One year, Dad and I stopped there on a weekend trip to NH and Dad let me choose a glass jewelry box that we brought back for Mom.  I remember that rare solo breakfast with Dad and the excitement of bringing back a surprise.
The Woodbine put out a cookbook, a little plastic binded 20 page book with hand written recipes.  It now sells for $70+ in Antique book stores.
M has memorized the chicken pot pie recipe!
I, however, am partial to their muffin recipes, the apple muffin and prune muffin.
I made the prune muffin last week and everyone loved them.  Allie ate them and didn't even know they were prune muffins!

Woodbine Prune Muffins

1/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup prunes, chopped

Cream sugar and shortening
Add egg.
Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with milk
Fold in prunes
Pour in muffin tins
Bake at 400 about 25 minute

No comments: