Sunday, March 29, 2009

Health Food

Flax Seed, (milled or seeds) or even flax seed oil is a remarkable "wonder" food.
Flax has been around for centuries, a grain high in omega oils -- no cholesterol, no gluten, no trans-fat.
Flax helps to lower cholesterol levels in men, helps reduce inflammation and helps those who have rheumatoid arthritis, adds fiber to those that ingest it.
I eat the milled flax seed.  (You can get flax in pill form as well, but it is simply the flax oil, has a short shelf life and lacks the benefits of fiber from the seeds.)
The milled flax should be kept in the refrigerator once opened.  I simply empty the box into a clean jar and keep in the fridge.
I sprinkle the flax on top of yogurt and mix it into baked goods.  It adds a very nice "almost nutty" flavor.  It is actually a very nice flavor and I will be adding it to crisps and anything else I can think of!
Some people add it to their smoothies when they make them in the blender.  I know a woman who eats flax as if it were oatmeal and slurps it with a spoon!

No comments: