Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mint Mojitos

When Dame and I were in Guatemala, I enjoyed a mojito by the pool.  The drink was just delicious, lots of fresh mint, delicately bruised to release the oils, fresh lime juice, a little sugar, rum and sparkling water.  Delicious.  Delicious. Delicious.
Since then, I have ordered mojitos in restaurants, but none have compared.  Usually, the bartender uses artificial lime juice (which is nothing like fresh lime juice) and is very cheap with the mint!
So, I learned that if I want a mojito, I need to make it myself.
I wanted to make the drink so that my girls could enjoy the flavors as well....
So, I made a simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water cooked until the sugar is melted) mixed with fresh mint, fresh lime juice and club soda.
delicious. delicious. delicious.

1 comment:

DamianC said...

If I recall the In Guatemala, when you ordered the Mojito, the pool steward came back with a armfull of mint and when he used it the glass was mostly filled with the mint!