When Americans think of oatmeal, we think of morning breakfast with brown sugar or fruits or we think of oatmeal raisin cookies, or as a topping for a delicious apple crisp. All sweet and delicious, but hardly the nutritious feast that oats truly are.
We all know the benefits of oats, nutritious, lowfat, high in fiber, cholesterol reducing. But oatmeal as a meal other than a sweet morning breakfast -- even without fruit? How about a savory oat meal? Yes, I mean an actual dinner or lunch?
- Oats cooked with a pinch of salt and then a slice of cheddar cheese placed on top?
- Cook oatmeal and top with green onions and a splash of soy sauce
- Cook oatmeal and top with some garlic sauteed spinach and black pepper
- Cook oatmeal with broth (instead of water) top with shredded chicken or pork, sesame seeds & chopped peanuts
- Oatmeal and steamed veggies
- Cooked oatmeal with gorgonzola, walnuts and dried cranberries