Friday, March 27, 2009

The Sink at the End of the Road... A Saga

Today after a long day at work, I drove near the entrance to our driveway only to see something glinting and reflecting in the bright sun.  If I didn't know better I would say it was a sink!  Oh my word, it is a sink!  Complete with faucets and copper pipes.
But, why is it at the end of my driveway, tossed in the culvert?
I mean, it would be convenient to have running water for my whisky barrel full of summer flowers, but this is ridiculous.
So, I get out of the car and try and move this sink.  It must have weighed 50 pounds!
I manage to lift it out of the culvert, after sinking my foot in a mudhole.
So, by now I was mad-- almost furious.  What kind of clown tosses a sink out of their car?

So, I call the selectman's office of our town and explain the situation.  I tell her that I am not sure what to do with it because our transfer station does not accept things such as a sink.  The town administrator told me to call the police department as it was a case of littering.

So, I call the police and get the dispatch agent.  I explain the situation and they tell me that an officer will call me back.
A very kind officer called me back.  He suggested I throw the sink in the trash.
I take a deep breath as I can see that he is missing the scope of the situation.
I tell him that I can not move the sink, it is heavy.
He tells me that he can help me move it, but do I have somewhere to put it?
I take another deep breath.
I apologize to him for seeming unhelpful, but I do not want to adopt an abandoned sink.  I have to pay to have my construction debris removed, I don't want to have to pay to have this sink removed.  IT ISN'T MY SINK!
He tells me to hold on the line.
He returns and tells me that he will be right over.
Sure enough, he arrives momentarily and asks for a trash bag so he doesn't get his cruiser dirty. He will take it to the transfer station for me.
I breathe a sigh of relief and thank him for helping me.
He was very, very pleasant and explained to me that he hates it when people litter.  He told me that he has no proof that the person doing this was criminal, it could have "slipped out" of the their pick up.
I take a deep breath.  Again.
I hope that Gram is up in heaven getting a kick out of this situation.
I thank him again.
I take another deep breath.

1 comment:

Cam said...

I would be furious too - The audacity! I would ask neighbors, joggers/walkers etc. if they saw who did it or their vehicle. And come on, if it fell out, it would have likely been smashed.

I remember when some pavers left a broom with tar on it in the middle of the road. My neighbor came over with it and asked if it was mine (duh). I told him no, and unbelievably he leaves it at the edge of my lawn instead of his. People can be weird lol.