Thursday, June 04, 2009

Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies


I have a love/hate relationship with peanut butter.  Some days I love it, some days I ADORE it. Other days I can pass on it altogether, except if it is covered in chocolate, a la Reeces.  After Ashley was born, I was nursing and had to be careful with what I ate (no milk products or garlic). Dad even went so far as to bring me goats milk to drink as it was easily digestible for both me and Ashley.  But, the one thing I couldn't give up was peanut butter cups mixed with vanilla frozen yogurt for dessert.  I had a small portion, but ohhh it was so good.  I have never lost the appreciation of creamy vanilla ice cream with chocolate and peanut butter....
But, back to the cookies....
This recipe is really top notch. It is unusual in that it uses melted butter  (not creaming the butter and sugar together) and it has molasses!  This imparts a delicious, delicious flavor that improves the next day (if the cookies can last that long).
These cookies are not very sweet, so add 1/2 cup more sugar if you like a sweeter cookie.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 T molasses
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour

Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and molasses. Stir in eggs and peanut butter. Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Roll into balls about 1" in size (larger if you prefer).  Roll in a bowl of 1/2 cup sugar.
Flatter with your fingers and make an imprint with the tines of a fork (the traditional look of peanut butter cookies). 
Bake for 9 - 11 min until lightly browned.  (I prefer them cooked a little more maybe 12 minutes).

No comments: