Monday, July 27, 2009

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Picture it - Summer 2009.
Hartford High School, Vermont. 1:00 - 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
A group of 8 teenagers (ages 15 - 19) and their 25 year old coach spend 3 grueling hours a day in the hot sun perfecting their tennis game.

This week, I asked to be part of it.

WHAT HAVE I DONE.

I have spent the last 5 weeks taking the girls up to their tennis practice. I spend a lot of time watching them, getting to know the other kids and the coach. -- A great group of people.
This week, Ashley told me that the other remaining girl was going to be away, so I jokingly told her that I would participate. The kids were ecstatic. We joked about it and giggled about it.
Sure, I already coach the team, play on a ladies team and love to play tennis. How bad could it be to play for 3 hours a day?

Well, Allie reminded me that Monday is "Fitness Day". Doesn't that sound like fun?
They "run" for anywhere between 60 and 90 minutes. Then the run some more, do push ups, sit ups and jump rope. (Is it just me or does this sound like the military?)
We only play tennis for less than an hour today.

I am 37 years old. Old enough to be the mother of all the participants!
I am worried because the last time I did an activity like this, I was young and in shape and had a very competitive mindset.
Well, I still have the mindset, but I now have a set of birthing hips to slow me down.

I am actually, very excited about this.... I made the girls promise me 2 things.
1. They can not to "take it easy on me". The last thing I want is to be treated like a baby. I am strong enough to play and I am strong enough to lose.
2. If I drop, THEY are the only ones allowed to give me mouth-to-mouth necessitation. I knew that CPR certification course that we took might come in handy.

2 comments:

DamianC said...

I thought you were 21 again not 37?

piera said...

You have Canuto blood in you. Nothing can stop you, espically if you put up with you know who, you can do anything!!!!!!!!!!