Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Christmas in August... (minor rant)

A few of my houseplants need repotting. Luckily, I have most of the next-size-up pots to do so. But, either way, it is a messy job and one that I can not comfortably do in NH in say, February, unless I want to stand outside in my snowsuit and large gloves trying to replant a cactus. I don't have a work area and setting up an area in the garage and the subsequent clean-up is a large undertaking.
I realized that Allie's cactus (in a very small pot) needed replanting. A 4 inch pot is way too big and I don't have anything large or small enough. So, when I was out on Sunday, I ran into the hardware store to get a small terra cotta pot. I couldn't find one. The clerk asked if I needed any help and I told him of my quest.
In response to my hunt for a small pot on August 9th, he told me "No, we put those away for the season". I looked at him dumfounded. I turned around and saw Christmas streamers, lights and decorations filling one aisle. Another aisle contained Halloween decorations.
I laughed out loud and said, "It's August and you don't have planting stuff, but you have Christmas stuff." He looked at me with the same dumbfounded look I gave him.
"Yes".
"And how is that selling for you this time of year?"
no reply.
I laughed out loud again and left the store empty handed.

This is just too much.

No comments: