Monday, September 21, 2009

From Cambridge to White River Junction....

Yesterday was a whirlwind of a day.... or the weekend for that matter.

On Sunday, the girls started a 3 month long course at MIT in Cambridge, MA. Later that evening, Jon and I had a Annual Meeting to attend in VT.

The drive down to MIT was quite pleasant. I was dreading heading into Boston on a weekend, but the weather was gorgeous and the traffic was light, so we were in luck. We arrived in Cambridge with 45 min to spare, but then spent 30 min trying to locate the parking garage that we were told to use. The parking garage is no longer there, instead replaced with a sky scraper.... so we drove to the first garage we saw. The MIT approved lot was to be free parking for those taking the class, instead we had over $30 in parking fees for this lot. Quite frustrating as the class goes on for 9 more weeks!

MIT encouraged the high school students taking the course to do things on their own and avoid walking to class with parents. Anyone who knows me can guess my attitude towards this suggestion. Rather than send our girls out into the streets of Cambridge, we walked them to the check-in lobby. I am all for teaching my kids independence, but there is something to be said about a parent making that decision.

The girls checked in and went off for their 4 hour placement test.

At this point, Jon & I returned to the parking garage and drove home. The girls followed us down in their car, so we were confident that they knew how to return home. (See, I do encourage them to be independent!)

So, Jon & I returned home, changed for our meeting and went to VT where Jon was elected onto the Board of Directors. We got a call from the girls stating that they were done with the class and on 93 North headed home.

I breathed a sigh of relief.
1 down, 8 more to go...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Ah, the girls are growing up! I am going to email you Alison's contact info. though for you and the girls to have. She'd love to meet up with you, and it will give the girls a local contact down there. Alison lives in Cambridge and knows the area well. I mentioned it to her and she said she'd love to meet up with you!