Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Vacation


The girls are done with school. They arrived home just as the FED EX man was dropping off a package and their smiles were huge! Ah, the taste of Freedom.

Today is a big day, Veron & Jalal are due in Boston and then NH later in the day.

I have completed making all my Christmas gifts & am mostly done wrapping them. The menu is planned and the groceries are all purchased.

The girls are about to leave the house on "Christmas deliveries". I have been checking the Massport website for our very special arrival.

The girls and I were talking about the Santa Claus notion. We discussed my opinion on how the belief in Santa is a gift that parents give to their children. As the children age, the focus should gradually change from wanting Santa to visit them, to them BECOMING Santa.... Subtly, I tried to show the girls how good it feels to think of others, to enjoy the satisfaction of a smile on another's face when they open their gifts. We paid less attention to Santa coming to our house and more attention to them pretending to be Santa themselves. This gave them a sense of ownership in others, a way to express their adoration and affection for others and took the emphasis off "getting" and onto "giving". And now they are fabulous at it!

That being said, the transition from believing in Santa to realizing that Santa is an idea can be painful for some kids. My girls handled it very differently.

Allie came to me when she was 6 years old. She calmly told me that the kids at school told her their wasn't a Santa Claus. Would I tell her the truth? I hesitated, but she insisted. So, I told her, "Allie, there is no man who lives at the North Pole. We are Santa Claus".
Allie looked at me and said, "YOU LIE!" and ran to her room.

Ashley, was 5 at the time. She helped me console Allie. You see, Ashley has always been skeptical of the Santa Claus idea. It just never added up to her. She knew that we told her that Santa brought toys to all good girls and boys, but she never could accept that it was physically possible. Not the flying sleigh & reindeer, not the fat man down the chimney and NOT the someone watching you all the time. So, she humored us.
When Allie came to the realization that there was no Santa Claus, Ash helped her through it, by telling her, "now we can pretend to be Santa".

So, while I think that the Santa idea, is more for the parents than the kids.... it is a joy to see amazement in your children's eyes -- I do think that there are valuable lessons that come from it.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Theo pointed out the other day that we have no chimney. I think he is in the very early stages of putting it all together. LOL.