Monday, December 07, 2009

What I am Reading

I read a little from this book each night. It is full of anecdotes from people who are grateful. Some tales are miraculous while others are less miraculous, but all are interesting and feel good. This is a book I will read again and again. It is an easy read. I've had it for over a month and have read it at least 3 times.
Here is another book where the catering woman is also the crime solver. This time, Goldy Schulz is the heroine, more because she is nosy than investigative, but it is a fun read with recipes! Love these novels. Love the puns in the titles, too.

Dame gave me this book to read after enjoying a book by this author in Guatemala. The book is a very quick read. I loved that Damian thought of me, but this book was particularly dark, the author's sense of humor was smug and smarmy. I didn't enjoy this collection of 5 short stories. Normally, David Sedaris writes about his family experiences. I think he is gifted in telling stories that demonstrate how wacky and yet lovable each family can be. It is realistic and relatable. This book was rather mean spirited and arrogant, laughing at families, rather than with them.
I am currently reading Dan Brown's latest novel, The Lost Symbol. Brown is the best selling author from NH with other titles such as the DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. Brown has a somewhat predictable formula, but his symbology, history lesson and technology is interesting. This book takes place in Washington DC and is intriguing. I am very interested in the noetic sciences that are mentioned in the book.
Noetic science is a legitimate and long standing study of how consciousness relates to forces in the world and how the world's forces relate to human consciousness. Noetic sciences study intuition, meditation and human potential in ways that are measured and recorded by science.
It is not a religion - it is a scientific procedure.
A institute that studies noetic science is based in California and was started 30 years ago by a group of people, but lead by astronaut Edgar Mitchell who flew in the Apollo 14 mission.
I think the concept that human consciousness is a force in nature should be explored and studied. Very interesting reading.

No comments: