Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Coupons for 2010!

I have decided to try using coupons more this year. Through the years, I have used coupons here and there, saving $ at the grocery store, saving $$ at department stores, Staples, etc. One time I was given a 20% off coupon for Kohls and the girls & I "saved a bunch".
But, this year I am going to embrace the coupon experience.

A few things about coupons that I didn't realize...
Each store that "accepts" coupons, is reimbursed for the value of the coupon, plus 8 cents for each one! I was surprised by this, as many clerks give me attitude when I present even the simplest of coupons...
"you have to buy 2 of these to use this coupon" they say, even though I purchased the required amount or
"this coupon is for chocolate ice cream, you bought vanilla" they say, even though the coupon clearly says ANY Breyers flavor or
"Lady, this coupon is old" when the expiration date is in June 2010

Most companies that have websites for their products offer coupons if you sign up for their online newsletter.

So, with all that, I found a few new sources, besides the Sunday paper to find coupons.

First things, coupons are valuable if you USE this product or want to try it and are determined to purchase it anyway.
Now, just using a coupon when you make a purchase is one way to save. But compounding the coupon with items on sale is a way to save a small fortune!

I did just that today at Walgreens in Concord and I was thrilled. Incidentally, I was blessed with a clerk who got as big a kick out of my savings as I did, so it was twice as fun!
I had some coupons that I printed on my computer. I saw that Walgreens on their big sign advertised Northern Toilet Paper on sale, so I turned in, knowing that I had a coupon for it as well....
Well, 15 minutes later, I had found some other stuff on sale that we use frequently and that I had coupons for. I set a goal for myself that I would only purchase things on this trip that 1. we use 2. were on sale or both....
My bill was $76.49 and when the coupons and sale prices finally rang in, my total was $32.67!

I was so thrilled!

So, the bottom line, is that with careful planning and time to shop, coupon clipping can be very lucrative...
I carry around a small plastic folder in my purse with my coupons, so that I can purchase things and use the coupons when I find them....
I am curious to see how much I can save using this method and how long I will continue to devote time to it...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I go in phases with coupons. If you have the time, they can really save you some $$. I agree to only clip the ones of products you use. I find also that newer products that are being promoted are often not available up here and I waste time looking for them on the shelves. So I have to stick to traditional items.