Monday, February 15, 2010

Recipe: Maple Bacon Scones

One morning before I woke up, I was dreaming about scones. Not just plain scones, but scones with sweet maple flavor and salty bacon.
This was a little odd because I don't usually eat bacon.
I took a recipe for scones and tweaked it a bit, adding crisped bacon and maple syrup.
I liked them.
Ashley, Allie & Jon thought they tasted like pancakes. Jon didn't really care for the flavors in a scone and the texture of the bacon bits.
I thought it tasted just like I dreamed!

2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup half & half
2 eggs
3 T maple syrup
1/3 cup chopped bacon

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Cook 5-6 bacon slices until crisp. Let cool on paper towels, blot and then chop.
Combine egg, milk and maple syrup.
Mix flour, salt & baking powder.
Cut in butter until mixture looks like sand.
Stir in the egg mixture (leaving 1 T in measuring cup).
Combine liquids with flour mixture, adding more flour if needed.
Turn onto board and knead in bacon.
Pat until 1-2 inches thick.
Cut into wedges or use a biscuit cutter.
Using 1 T reserved liquid mixture, brush the tops of the scones.
Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden on top.
Let cool a few minutes before eating...if you can.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow... This is wonderful!!