Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quote

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
Aesop

Funny, it seems that the best meals are not the ones remembered because of the gourmet ingredients or the fine dining experience, but rather the pleasure of them. If someone asked you, "what was your favorite meal?" most people would tend to remember the situation, rather than the gourmet aspect of the meal.

My most memorable meal was the day I came home from the hospital following Allie's birth in 1993. Not only was I exhausted, nervous and still high on adrenaline from the birthing process, but I had been in the hospital for 24 hours. I didn't eat or rather couldn't eat while in labor and then following her birth, I was famished.
My first meal following 12 hours of labor was disappointing, to say the least.

For whatever reason, the doctor prescribed a strictly lowfat, low calorie diet with the hospital staff. This entitled me to a dry piece of toast, a 6 oz cup of black hospital coffee and something resembling a scrambled egg. It was all the same temperature - that is room temperature and there was no aroma from either the coffee or the egg.
Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I basically inhaled the food. I swallowed the coffee in 2 sips, even though I didn't drink coffee at the time. I also found a pat of butter on a piece of waxed paper under the plate. I picked it up and licked the butter off the wrapper. I don't ever remember feeling so famished.
The rest of the meals in the hospital went the same way, barely edible.

But, when we arrived home with baby Allie, Dad had brought over trays of food. There was a tray of salty prosciutto sliced papery thin, with chunks of nutty Parmesan cheese and fresh mozzarella. There was a tray of sliced fruit, cantaloupe, oranges and berries. There was a platter of roast lamb and a bowl of salad. I ate like I hadn't eaten for weeks! It was as if I were tasting these familiar flavors for the first time.
After dinner I took a nap and it was the first time that I slept since Allie was born.
This meal was a banquet and I will never forget it!

No comments: