Wednesday, April 07, 2010

First High School Match of the 2010 Season

Today, we have our first high school tennis match of the season. We play Hanover, who for the past few years has been state finalists in tennis. So, we start with a tough team.
I believe that our girls are ready for it!

We got to practice outdoors for the first time on Monday and it was a challenge. Just about every obstacle that Mother Nature and Murphy's Law could throw our way, occurred!

We had 3 large geese honking in the pond just feet away from the courts.
The wind was gusting like made, creating a wind tunnel that ran through the courts. One high toss and the ball flew 25 feet on one side. On the other side of the court, you had to hit the ball with all your might so it would not blow back!
The boys lacrosse team ran by dressed up in all their gear chanting "oh- eee- oh" from the Wizard of Oz.
The girls softball team was annoying their coach who kept yelling, "Engage your brains, Ladies! ENGAGE YOUR BRAINS, please!"

And to top it off, one of my players who was standing 3 feet from me at the net, hitting drills took a cell phone call on the court! I was flabbergasted and asked her to leave the court and had another player take her place. She was oblivious and told me, "no I have a free hand, I can still hit".

But, getting past the nonsense, today is expected to be sunny, very warm and gorgeous. I hope the girls have a good time!

No comments: