Sunday, May 16, 2010

Creation of a Logo...

A while back, my friend and hairdresser, Jessie branched out and started her own salon. I designed a logo and business cards for her, which she loved and she shows them to everybody that stops in for a haircut.
She showed them to someone who was starting a landscaping business and needed business cards. They asked if I could design them and I was glad to do it.
The company name is Four Aces Landscaping and they left it up to me to come up with a logo.
So, I made some images and took it to them to see what they thought.
Now, logo design can be very complicated and the hardest part is achieving what someone else wants.... Sometimes the communication is jumbled and it is hard to grasp the concept that the client wants... I was lucky to have "carte blanche" to decide what to do...
So, I tried to play off the name - Four Aces, as well as tie in landscaping for all seasons..

So, I made the above logo, keeping the 4 aces theme, and including the seasonal references.

Then, I gave them 2 choices for the use of the logo... The black one was a crisp image, the second one was a little lighter, a little more fun....
I took them to the client and they told me that they liked both of them, but preferred the black background.
I was thrilled.
And then they told me that they wanted an avatar of a landscaper - like I did of Jessie the hairdresser!
Back to work....
So, I came up with this one. The liked it, but decided that they wanted the landscaper to be inside the cards and they wanted to keep the black background....
So, back to the drawing bad for some revisions...


So, after I made the aces with the landscaper, I thought that they might prefer the standard - hearts, spades, clover & diamonds of a deck of cards... So I made the following logo as well...
Then, I brought both cards to them to look over and give the final OK...
Choice # 1

Choice # 2

They chose the second choice, with the season icons as suites of cards. They were very happy with the end result.

The interesting thing with design work, is trying to ascertain what the client wants. Sometimes, I have an idea in mind and I have to remind myself to let that go and really listen to what the client says. This is one of the hardest parts for me! But, I enjoy making all the different revisions of the documents.