Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21st

June 21st marks Gram's birthday each year. She was very proud of her June birthday, in fact...
She would always remind us that June 21st was Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year! (Actually, the day with the most sunshine.)And in some ways, I think she believed that she had something to do with this fact.

Now, even 9 years after her death, I am still reminded of Gram almost every day. I see things in my daily life that make me smile - just knowing that she would have a snarky comment or would get a chuckle out of some things.
Pecan Sticky Buns. Dad must have brought her hundreds of these during the last decade of her life! Each time that I see one, I instantly think of Gram eating it as a late breakfast (usually at 11:00 am or so) with a cup of boiling tea. (And I do mean boiling!)Anytime I see roses on a bush, I think of Gram. She had these long rosebushes in NY. Funny, I remember seeing Dad tend them, not Gram, but they were always known as Gram's roses...

And her Catholic Prayer Cards that she collected from decades of attending funerals for friends and loved ones. She would "read" them twice a day. Some were so tattered and worn that they were as thin as parchment paper, but she kept them together with a rubberband, usually in her seat. The question, "Has anyone seen my prayers?" was a familiar one. Sure enough, they were stuck between the cushions of the couch or her seat.

Ice cream sodas, preferably made with butter pecan ice cream and chocolate syrup. And microwaved. (Yes, sometimes, the ice cream soda was too cold and it was either my job or Damian's job to find a way to heat it up for her and still maintain the ice cream. We didn't ask why this was -- we knew better. So, we just microwaved it for 20 seconds and all was good).

2 comments:

piera said...

I love you Gram. Miss you lots!!!! Happy Birthday:)

Flor Larios Art said...

Love the prayer cards collection!