Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Drink: White Wine Sangria

My Wednesday night women's tennis team is a fun event. Each Wednesday during the summer, we compete from 6:00 - 8:00 (more or less) and then have snacks afterwards. The home team supplies the goodies and for the past 2 weeks, our team has been the providers.

And let me tell you, these women can not only play tennis - but they put on a feast afterwards!
This week, Becky signed up to bring wine - and then got creative and made sangria!

The funny part is that with all the food and drink, I feel like I belong to a cocktail club who occasionally play tennis!
Natasha knows that I don't like to drink -- but suggested I try a sip of the sangria. I admit, I was very curious as it was made with white wine (I have only seen red sangria!). Well, it was delicious!
One of the players - went back for seconds and then thirds!
We all asked Becky what recipe she used and she said it was a "mish mash" but here goes:

1 bottle Muscato, chilled
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1 tray of ice cubes
1 splash orange juice
1/2 lime, cut into slices
1/2 lemon, cut into slices
12 oz club soda

Becky just poured everything together in a pitcher, stirred and served with additional ice cubes. The women remarked about how refreshing it was!
Serves 1 tennis team.

Sangria is an informal drink, similar to a punch, is commonly any combination of:
  • wine - red or white
  • fruit - citrus, apples, pineapple, berries
  • Brandy or Triple Sec
  • fruit juice or sweetener
  • carbonation - seltzer, ginger ale or club soda

Oh - Becky says that letting the pitcher sit in the fridge overnight (without the ice or club soda) allows the flavors to meld and is even better!




No comments: