Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summertime Ambrosia

For the girls birthdays, I always cook their favorite meal. Each year, I ask them what they would like for their favorite meal. This year, Allie asked for her usual - steak, but wanted ambrosia, like I make for Thanksgiving.
At Thanksgiving, I make Cranberry Ambrosia and cranberries are not around in NH in June!

I explained to Allie, that cranberries aren't in season and she shrugged and said, "how about using blueberries?"

It was a great idea and I made the ambrosia. I thought it needed more color, so I added some chopped strawberries and it was delicious - almost as good as the Thanksgiving version.

Allie's Birthday Ambrosia

2 cups blueberries (1/2 cups chopped coarsely)
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup crushed pineapple
2 T sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows
3/4 cup heavy cream

Combine berries, sugar and pineapple in a large bowl and chill overnight or 3 hours.
Stir in marshmallows.
Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and fold into marshmallow mixture.
Let sit for several hours and serve.

No comments: