Saturday, August 21, 2010

Recipe: Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette


I love summer tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil with olive oil and vinegar - the classic Caprese Salad.  But, as much as I like the flavor of basil - (and I love it!), sometimes, I find the texture tough or very strong. So, many times, I don't add it to my Caprese except as a garnish.
I found this idea of blending the basil into the dressing, making a basil vinaigrette.
And it was absolutely delicious.  So delicious, I could drink the vinaigrette plain!

Add more vinegar if you prefer more "bite".

2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup torn basil leaves (loosely packed)
2 T cold water
3 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
6 T olive oil

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.

No comments: