Sunday, August 01, 2010

Recipe: Cinnamon Yogurt Coffee Cake

As a kid, I always thought that "Coffee Cake" referred to the flavor of cake, just as "coffee" ice cream does. And as a little kid, I was not fond of the taste of coffee, so I shied away from coffeecakes -- even the idea of coffeecakes. I remember watching as my grandmother ate her Entenmann's coffeecakes - usually with a cup of scalding hot tea. This just reenforced my idea that drinking a cup of coffee with coffee cake would be a culinary redundancy!

Times change and so do tastes. I no longer shy away from coffee flavored foods and I no longer have a problem with eating coffeecake while sipping on a latte!
I have come to appreciate the delicate, lightly sweetened flavor of many coffeecakes as an afternoon or late morning snack.

This recipe is particularly good! It uses 1 cup of yogurt which creates a very moist cake and features cinnamon. The recipe calls for chopped walnuts, but any nut substitution would work as well. Or just omit them altogether, as I did because Ash had her wisdom teeth out and I wanted her to be able to enjoy a piece if she wanted. (The nuts would be too crunchy for her).

When I make this again, I think I will use hazelnuts - because hazelnuts are divine. I will also make the recipe 1.5 times the amount in order to fill the bundt pan. This does not fill the pan.

Cinnamon Yogurt Coffee Cake


2 sticks butter (1/2 pound)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 heaping cup plain yogurt

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 tsp almond extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup walnuts - or hazelnuts, or almonds

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350.

Grease & flour a bundt pan (or even an angel food pan)

Mix together walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

Stir in the vanilla & almond extracts into the yogurt and set aside.

Combine the flour, soda, powder & salt.


Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs just until throughly mixed.

Alternate adding yogurt and vanilla with flour, baking powder and soda and mix well.


Grease and flour angel food or bundt cake pan. Spread 1/2 of batter in pan and sprinkle with 1/2 of nut mixture. Cover with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.


Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 - 15 min, then turn out onto cooling rack to cool further.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired) and serve.


This cake keeps well at room temperature if covered. The addition of the yogurt makes for a very moist, long lasting cake.

No comments: