Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stump the Cook!

I made this delicious "quick bread" aka sweet bread that has a mystery ingredient.
I have to say that I would not have guessed the ingredient had I not known what it was.  I made the recipe (omitting the chopped nuts, by accident) and tasted the batter.  Delicious.
Then, I baked the 2 loaves and asked Allie, Jon, then Jon's mother and father to taste the finished product and guess.
No one guessed correctly.
Allie guessed "apples"? No.
Jon guessed, "carrots"? No, not carrots.
Mrs. Mellen said the flavor was familiar, but she couldn't place it.
Mr. Mellen just said, "What is it?"

The secret ingredient...
A can of baked beans!

Yes.  1 can of pork n beans! Just puree it (although some people don't even bother to puree it! and stir it into the batter.  And, did you know that there are so many flavors of baked beans now?  There is maple, Boston, Grandma's (with molasses), vegetarian, extra bacon, etc, etc....  Each flavor would add a particular nuance to the bread, but each would be delicious and add some protein as well....

Oh, the first time I heard of this bread, I was kind of disgusted.  Then, I was intrigued and curious! I can picture my brother making this for his co-workers...

Baked Bean Bread

1 can pork and beans (15 oz)
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325.  Line two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans with parchment and spray with cooking spray - you can just line the base with parchment...
Puree undrained can of beans in food processor or blender until smooth.
Mix eggs and sugar in a large bowl, until combined. Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.  Stir in flour, salt, powder & soda.  Stir in beans and nuts.
Divide in pans, spread the batter, evenly.
Bake for 60 min or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

DamianC said...

Daniela,
There is an old recipie for Boston Brown Bread that I've been meaning to make, you actually bake it in the Bean Cans (minus the label)
This bread looks great.