Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Recipe: Savory Raspberry Sauce


As I age, err - As I mature, I have noticed my tastes in food changing as well.  Where I used to have a sweet tooth and love all sweets and sugary things, I find myself shying away from sugary tastes.  I can hardly believe I am saying this, but some things are just too sweet now.  I don't take sugar in my tea or coffee anymore and I have a hard time drinking any "juice" for this reason.  Even ice pops and some ice cream are just too darn sweet for me to enjoy the way I used to!
Also, I have noticed that I prefer some pepper in my food, where I used to detest it. I eat fennel now - not a lot, but I don't shy away from it, either.  And, perhaps the biggest change for me has been in enjoying the combination of fruits with meats and/or vegetables.  The combination of naturally "sweet" food with savory is very tasty and exciting!

Yesterday, I made some roast pork.  It was delicious - moist and tender - and so easy to cook!
But, all day, I was thinking about how delicious raspberries would be with pork!
I went to the grocery store and there were no raspberries to be found.
Not to worry, I found some frozen berries and went to work on a savory raspberry sauce.
(Another thing I am picky about is seeds in my raspberries!  While I have no problem with seeds in actual berries, I prefer raspberry purees and sauces to be seedless.  This requires straining the puree through a fine mesh colander - an extra step that is optional if you are not a fussy mature woman.)

1 12 oz bag frozen raspberries, (not necessary to thaw)
1/2 cup sugar or to taste
1 glove garlic, chopped finely - made into a paste
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp horseradish
1 T ketchup
2 grinds pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer until berries breakdown.  Stir the sauce and taste.  Cook down mixture just about 8 minutes.
OPTIONAL - Let mixture cool a bit - 10 - 20 minutes and strain in a fine meshed strainer - this gets rid of the seeds.  Serve warm or chilled.  Excellent with pork, chicken and bread!

This mixture can be made with seedless raspberry jam instead of the berries & sugar for those with a sweet tooth!

2 comments:

DamianC said...

Looks Yummy!
Quick correction, Frozen raspberries unthawed would still be frozen, thawed raspberries work much better.
Letting our New York colloquialisms show!
:-)

DannyB said...

You are correct! I should say that thawing is optional, but not necessary....