Saturday, November 20, 2010

Recipe: Saturday Night Chicken Wings

This recipe goes by many names - Mahogany Chicken, Spicy Honey Wings, Sweet Teriyaki Wings and probably others.  We love them.  The key is to not overcook the sauce.  To avoid this, I roast my wings and then when the wings are 5 minutes from being done, I baste them in sauce, return to the oven and let the sauce caramelize.  Sticky, yummy goodness.
I took a basic teriyaki sauce recipe and modified it to suit our tastes - sweet, garlicky and a bit spicy.... Oh so good!
We like a wings & drumsticks at our home, but use what you like - thighs and chicken breasts would be good this way too.

I tried to use this as a marinade and as it was very tasty, the chicken turned black when cooked.  I am guessing this was because of the sugar in the sauce.  I don't think I would do the marinade again because it didn't impart any more flavor than cooking and basting. (For the marinade - I didn't cook the sauce, just mixed everything together and marinated the raw chicken.)

Sweet and Garlicky Sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/3 + 1T soy sauce
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp grated ginger
4 cloves smooshed garlic cloves

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat until simmering.  Shut off the heat and cover.  Allow to sit until the chicken is cooked.

Chicken Parts - Wings & Drumsticks

Preheat oven to 375.
Line a cookie sheet with foil and then with parchment.
Place the chicken pieces on the parchment and cook for 60 minutes.
Remove from oven and flip over the parts.
Return to oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and baste both sides with the sauce.
Return to oven for 5 - 6 minutes.

(If chicken pieces are exceptionally large or small adjust heating time accordingly).

No comments: