Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Recipe: Zesty Salad Dressing

Here is another "tennis recipe".  At each Ladies match, the home team is required to serve a light lunch or snack to the visiting team.  Some teams put out an impressive spread with soup, salad, sandwiches, side dishes, desserts and drinks.
I was assigned the salad portion of this weeks match.
I hemmed and hawed over what recipe to bring.  I knew that there would be soup and sandwiches, so I thought a light green salad would be best.
When I was at the grocery store, I saw some ripe carambolas and couldn't resist adding them to the salad.  They added a nice little zing.
Then I debated about the dressing.
Most people bring along a number of bottled dressings.  But, I don't like them.  To me they are all gummy and heavy.  I prefer a snappy vinegar dressing to a creamy one anyway.
So, I made this dressing that stole the show!
The tennis pro, a former chef, helped himself to the salad and munched on it right from the bowl at the end of the day.  This kind of grossed me out, I chose to look at it that it was irresistible!

The dressing was very tasty.
For the salad, I used all raw veggies - mesclun, raw broccoli, sliced into little florets, grape tomatoes, sliced green onions, julienned carrots and thinly sliced cabbage.  I added the sliced carambola on top and it was great.
Make the dressing a little bit in advance and then toss it on the salad.  The dressing gets better as it marinates.... Alter to make it as spicy or as sweet as you like.

Zesty dressing:

2 T honey
1 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp powdered mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 dashes pepper
3 dashes salt
1/4 cup olive oil (+ 2 T if desired)

Mix all ingredients in a small jar and shake, shake, shake.  Chill in fridge until ready to serve then pour over salad ingredients.  Toss salad.  Enjoy!

No comments: