Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Resolution


January 1st marks the start of our new year.  It's a clean slate or a springboard for starting to be the person we want to be.  New Year's resolutions mark reflections on our past and goals for our future.  Can you guess what the top 10 New Year's Resolutions are for Americans?

  1. Spend more time with family and friends.
  2. Exercise more frequently
  3. Lose weight
  4. Quit smoking
  5. Enjoying life more
  6. Quit drinking
  7. Pay off loans and bills
  8. Take up a new skill/hobby
  9. Volunteer
  10. Get organized/ de-clutter
It is kind of interesting, as the gym is filled for the first 3 weeks of January and then attendance sharply declines.  Resolutions tend to fail for lots of reasons.  But the most obvious is because change is difficult.

I can remember back in elementary school, sitting in class having to write a paragraph on my New Year's Resolution.  (Looking back, I think it was more of a writing prompt and less of a philosophical exercise.)  But, at the time,  I struggled to come up with anything besides be a faster runner.

Resolutions require reflection upon the past and contemplation about the future.  What do I want to do differently and how can I resolve to achieve it?

Jon thinks that people can only change (if they want to) about 15% of their individual personality.  For example, someone who is selfish won't be able to become unselfish, just less selfish.  Someone who is set in their ways and wants to become more flexible, will be able to do so on a small scale.  
I think this is true about humans.

Since resolutions are self determined, I don't think that there is any right or wrong ones.  Obviously, some are more achievable than others and some are more realistic. 
 
For my own yearly resolutions,  I choose a word that sums up my goals for the year.  I have chosen words for that past few years and keep them posted at the my blog.  For 2011, I have chosen the word FOCUS.  To that end, I have decided to spend some time on Mondays working on my drawing skills and spend time on Fridays working on my writings. My goals for this year are based around working towards finishing up projects and setting time aside for doing just that.

If you have the desire, take some time and reflect upon the New Year ahead of you.  What do you want 2011 bring for you?

1 comment:

piero canuto said...

well done