Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Project: Fabric Christmas Postcards

One of the many joys of having little kids in the family is their excitement about the little things in life.  Having a little niece and nephew who love getting mail is a thrill for me.
I enjoy sending them greeting cards and I decided to try my hand at fabric postcards.
Fabric postcards are postcard size  pieces of fabric that are made stiff and mailed through the postal service.
They are fun to make and I hope, fun to receive!
To make them, make sure they meet the post office's maximum size requirements.
 The postcard is 4"x6".  I made a template with cardboard and then cut out pretty fabric to that size.  I also cut a piece of muslin and a piece of batting.  I used Timtex which is a stiff piece of interfacing.


If I wanted to embroider the top piece, I would do so BEFORE I ironed the pieces together.
I ironed the three pieces together.  The interfacing is fusible, meaning the adhesive melts onto the fabric with the heat of an iron.  If it is thoroughly heated, the bond will be permanent once it cools.

 I then sewed the edges -- just for looks and I was done.
 I drew on the backside.  You can write a message, like a traditional postcard if you like.
They use a regular stamp, but it has to be hand cancelled.  So, if you are sending a fabric postcard, bring it up to the postal clerk in order to send it.

I brought the postcards to our local post office and Monday.  The first clerk was a little confused as to what to do with them, but I explained that they had to be hand cancelled.  She didn't believe me and called her manager over who agreed with me.
So, don't give up if the clerk is unfamiliar with them.
Of course, I am waiting confirmation that the postcards were received!!!

6 comments:

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

I've never seen this before! Great idea, when all of that fabric goes on clearance (will save this idea for next year)...

Link this up to Creative Juice Thursdays...


http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2010/12/creative-juice-thursday-take-two.html

hope to see you there!
nicolette

Emily P. said...

This would be great to do with my nieces and newphews. Thanks for the fun idea!

piero canuto said...

Yes I did get your fabric Christmas card, very creative and original:)

Laurie said...

We got the post cards, thank you! They look great! The kids enjoyed them. Claudia did try to take it apart (thought it was a card). They were both excited that the stamp peeled off easily ("She sent us a sticker"!) :-)

Amy R. said...

What a cool idea! I would love to get one of those. I might try it myself and send to someone special.
Thanks for sharing!
Amy

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

Thanks so much for linking this up to Creative Juice Thursdays...

Hope to see you back this week!

I plan to raid the clearance racks at Joann after the holidays...

<3
Nicolette
http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com