Sunday, December 12, 2010

Project: Wood and Metal Ornament

This is my favorite ornament so far... I like the combination of the texture of the burlap, the warm wood and the shiny metal....Very pretty with the red bow!  Here's how to do it.


Take a wood block and drill two holes in the top for hanging.  I used a square block, but any shape will do.  Take a piece of burlap large enough for a background.  (When cutting burlap, slide the strands out, rather than cutting it, you will get an even piece for your shape).
Paint the wood (I painted it a cream color).  Then I sponged paint around the edge to give it an aged look.

I cut some metal sheets in my die cutter in a bunch of shapes and some numbers. 
I glued the burlap to the block and then tried a few different combinations until I found one I liked...
First the "25" with a star... not quite what I wanted.

 Then the "25" but with the cut outs, the negative images..... Again, not what I wanted.
 Then a couple of fold art stars...
Maybe a couple of trees?

 OK.. Just right... I nailed the shapes with tiny finishing nails that I cut extra short...

Added a cute ribbon and hung it up!  I love it!


6 comments:

LDH said...

I love these! Nice job!

Erin said...

I love these!! I didn't know you could cut metal in any of the die cutters.

Jennifer said...

these are so cute, where did you get the wood blocks? just lovely.

having a little giveaway if interested
http://www.alwaysinwonder.com

Jennifer said...

I love these! I featured you today on my ornament round up :)

Adrienne Lentz said...

What kind of die cutter do you use?

DannyB said...

I used Sizzix Dies with the Tim Holtz Vagabond by Sizzix. I used very thin sheet metal. Even metallic paper would work.