Thursday, December 16, 2010

Recipe: Breakfast Popover

Here is a delicious lazy breakfast (or coffee break) dish.  I made this dish this morning, planning to serve it to the girls before school.  My plans were foiled as it took longer to bake than I expected and the girls were already at school by the time I removed it from the oven!
On the bright side, I enjoyed a freshly baked popover for breakfast, even if it was without my girls.

Popovers are usually made in individual containers.  (Next time, I will make them in muffin tins.)  They are American in origin, based on the English Yorkshire Pudding.
Popovers are light and hollow, made with just flour, mix, eggs and salt!  They "pop" up in the heat of the oven, and become moist and somewhat hollow.  They collapse only moments after removing from the oven, so they are impressive when high and surprisingly disappointing when collapsed.

I find the popover delicious with just a dusting of powdered sugar, but some people enjoy it with maple syrup.  I used my own strawberry jam, but you can use any flavor or even fresh or frozen berries.

Give it a try when you have the time.  It is quite delicious.

Breakfast Popover

1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 scant cup flour (just less than 1 cup)
pinch salt
1 T melted butter
1/2 cup jam or berries

Heat oven to 450.
Grease a 8" cast iron skillet.  Place it in the oven to heat up.
In a bowl, mix all ingredients except jam or fruit.
Blend all ingredients with a mixer.  Your goal is to whip air into the batter to make it light and airy, about 2 minutes.
Pour batter into greased, hot pan and bake for 20 minutes at 450.  Do not open the oven door for the first 20 minutes.  DO NOT PEEK!
Reduce temperature to 350 and bake an additional 20 minutes or so.
It will bake for approximately 40 minutes total....
Remove from oven, slice into pieces.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup if desired.

1 comment:

piero canuto said...

it sound superb!