Monday, December 27, 2010

Recipe: Christmas Parfaits

 These were our very yummy Christmas desserts.  Each year, I try and make a fun and unusual dessert for Christmas that we will enjoy.  This year since it was just the four of us, I thought I would go with a tried and true favorite.... ice cream!
This hardly needs a recipe, as it is just layers of ice cream... But in case you were wondering the different flavors, they are festive and fruity.  I combined pomegranate sorbet, mango sorbet and creamy vanilla bean ice cream in layers in a tall glass and topped it with unsweetened whipped cream and a kiwi slice.  It was a fun ending to a great meal.

The combination of tart pomegranate and mango with creamy vanilla bean was delicious.  Normally, I don't care for sweetened whipped cream.  I think that cream has a natural wholesomeness and taste that I do enjoy.  So, for these sundaes I just whipped some cream with some vanilla extract.  I think the contrast between the sweetness of the ice cream and the tartness of the sorbets was effective.

Christmas Parfaits

1 pint pomegranate sorbet
1 pint mango sorbet
1 quart vanilla bean ice cream or gelato
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped to medium peaks
1 sliced kiwi for garish
Let the ice creams and sorbet soften for 5 minutes.  In each tall glass, layers the sorbets between a layer of vanilla ice cream.   Top with a dab of whipped cream and garnish with kiwi.

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays


No comments: