Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Drawings

One of my resolutions for the new year, was to schedule time once a week to work on my drawing skills.  I have always loved to draw.  I love to look at other people's work, children's books and even advertisements to see different styles and skills.
Since practice makes perfect, or at least better, I have decided to do just that.  So, each Monday, I make arrangements to draw for at least 45 minutes.  The time passes so quickly.  It is easy to postpone the slot to do other things, but I remind myself that this is something I want to do... Here are my efforts for 2 weeks...

The first week, I wanted to draw an owl, after seeing one on Christmas as it landed in the blink of an eye and grabbed an otherwise innocent chippy! I captured the expression on the owls face, but still need work on the body and texture of the feathers.  The chippy turned out to be my favorite.  Probably because chippys have always been my favorite! When we would come up here from NY for the summer and winters I could see them out the kitchen window.  We didn't have these in NY, instead we had the aggressive giant gray squirrel.  Nothing like the adorable little chipmunks who would go about their business, gratefully eat peanuts from our neighbors hand and generally be adorable.

I drew some bugs the second week. I want to improve my shading skills, being able to show depth, make things looks 3-D or domed, spherical rather than circular.  The top one is a Hercules beetle.  Did you know that it can carry 600X its own weight?  I drew it larger than it actual size, luckily!

2 comments:

piero canuto said...

you do a great job!

Laurie said...

Very talented! My father and sister are both talented in drawing. Sadly, I am not. But I think it's a great skill!