Monday, January 17, 2011

Healthy Smoothie aka Greensicle Smoothie

Smoothies are all the rage and have been for the last few years.  Smoothies are cold, sometimes frosty drinks similar to milkshakes, but are made with some sort of fruit.  The implication is that they are healthy, but that is rarely the case.  Many are made with "fruit colors" and tons of sugar or syrup.  I would just rather have a milkshake if that were the case.  But, still the concept of a cool nutritious drink sounds appealing.

I came across a recipe for a "Creamsicle Smoothie" on buddinglotusbody.  Their smoothie was made with all healthy ingredients, was gluten free, and was supposed to taste like an orange creamsicle pop!  It contained no cream, milk, yogurt or dairy!  Oh - and it contained raw swiss chard.
The picture on their website showed a brilliant green drink.  I was slightly grossed out, but intrigued.
I continued to read the recipe and thought - raw swiss chard, strawberries, banana and orange juice.  How bad could it be?

I made one and thought it was delicious.  Absolutely delicious.  I was disappointed that my smoothie's color wasn't a beautiful emerald green, it was more, err, well --- let's just say it wasn't very appetizing looking.  But, it was very tasty.

Jon watched me make it.  Then he watched me drink it.  He even tried a taste.  He, too was surprised at how delicious it was.  The smoothie was filling, yet light.   Allie even tried it, reluctantly, today.  She liked it!

Of course, I modified the recipe a bit.... I omitted the vanilla extract and I added 1/2 cup of ice to make it a little more frosty.  I added a few more frozen strawberries and I will experiment with adding other fruits, frozen peaches and kiwis!

For each smoothie:

1/2 cup packed swiss chard leaves, washed, dried and torn
1/2 cup orange juice
6 strawberries, frozen
1/2 - 3/4 banana
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup water

Puree swiss chard and orange juice in the blender, until swiss chard is liquified.
Add remaining ingredients and blend until frothy.
Pour in a glass and serve.

Hint - I washed and dried the swiss chard leaves. Then, I took each large leaf and tore it up, placing each in a small sandwich bag.  I put all the bags in the freezer so that preparation was easy for the next smoothie.  I will do this with the bananas as they ripen and more swiss chard when I go to the store.  This way,  I will have everything ready each morning when I make the smoothie.....

Jack's Coffee used to sell a lot of smoothies.  I noticed that they put all the fruit ingredients in a plastic cup and froze them.  When someone ordered one, they just added the juice and blended.


2 comments:

SOFIA said...

I can't wait to try the swiss chard. I wound not recommend smoothy-ing kiwi fruit....it leaves hundred of pesky seed (despite nice color) and the seeds are actually a bit spicy.
Lately I have been smoothing (not a diet drink a bit heavy...)
2 banana's
1/4 avocado
milk
honey

DannyB said...

Ohhh -- Thanks for the info with the kiwis... I didn't think of that!
The avocado smoothie sounds interesting! It must be creamy and rich!