Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oreos and Homemade Oreo Cookies...

Oreos are one of America's most popular cookie.  More importantly, it is my brother's favorite cookie!  He used to eat them as if they were candy... Well, he used to eat them as frequently as he could.  I am curious if this has changed?

Oreos were first created in 1912 by Nabisco and were originally introduced in 2 flavors, white cream and lemon meringue.  The lemon meringue were discontinued in the 1920s.  Interestingly, HYDROX cookies, a major competitor of Oreos were created in 1908.  Eventually, they were discontinued in 1999, losing market share to the more popular OREO cookie.

Oreos have spawned many flavors and even colors.  Halloween Oreos have orange filling while Christmas Oreos have red filling.  The flavor "cookies and cream" was based on the Oreo cookie and that flavor is found in cheesecakes, chocolate bars, ice creams and more!


I know that Oreos are factory made, full of preservatives and chemicals.  I wanted to try and make my own, thus reducing all the bad stuff.  All the recipes I found, called for vegetable shortening in the cream filling, which I prefer not to use.  There was one recipe that I found that called for a white chocolate ganache, which was delicious.  I followed the tinyurbankitchen recipe.  I did modify the recipe, using
I wanted the cookie to look black like oreos, so I purchased black cocoa powder from King Arthur.


When I was rolling the dough, Jon came in the room and noticed just how black the dough looked.  He asked me if it was edible?  It did look like clay.



The final verdict -- homemade oreos are a LOT of work.  The copycat doesn't taste like the original, but it is a good tasting cream filled cookie.

Recipe modified from tinyurbankitchen.

Cookie:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks butter at room temperature
Cream:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
Cream: Heat cream in the microwave until hot, not burnt - approximately 60 seconds. Remove and add the chocolate. Let stand for a few minutes and stir.  If needed, heat again in microwave for 10 seconds at a time.  Chill in refrigerator until set -  about 1 hour or so.
Cookie: Whip butter and sugar until fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture.  Divide dough in two portions.  Sandwich between sheets of wax paper.  Roll to 1/8" thickness and chill in refrigerator for at least 60 minutes.

When ready to bake cookies, line a cookie sheet with parchment
Preheat oven to 350F.

Cut out cookies with a cookie cutter.  Work quickly because dough needs to be chilled to cut or it will crumble. Place 1/2" apart on baking sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 3 minutes.  Transfer to a cooking rack.
When cookies are cool, prepare to fill.  Stir the ganache and place in a pastry bag or just spread some onto each cookie.  Be careful, as the cookies break!

You can use a vanilla buttercream filling or even marshmallow fluff!





1 comment:

DamianC said...

I think I might stop by and try one out! I have not purchased oreos in a while because if I did they would not last very long.
So the real question is how do these cookies taste with milk.
They look beautiful!