Sunday, January 30, 2011

Recipe: Marshmallow Filled Chocolate Cupcake

 Here is another recipe that is a homemade version of a classic.  Remember Hostess Cupcakes?
As a child, I was convinced that these were my favorite things.  Of course, I decided this fact not from having tasting one, but from sitting next to a friend who brought one in her lunch everyday!  Just the smell of the cupcake when she peeled off the wrapper and the marshmallow filling seemed divine.
I finally had my first Hostess Cupcake in high school.
To say I was disappointed, was an understatement.  The filling, which I thought was going to be marshmallow-ey and tender, was plastic like and artificial tasting.  The chocolate cake was bitter and the so called ganache on top was tasteless and clay like.
After that disappointing moment, I never thought about them again.  In fact, I was kind of turned off from filled cupcakes based on that experience.

That is, until today.

I whipped up my own version and made them everything I dreamt about as a child.
The chocolate cake is delicious without being overpowering.  The filling is marshmallow-ey and I even piped some on the top as a tribute to Hostess.

 My cupcakes are domed.... A combination of a 5/6 filled muffin cup, the recipe and the way I filled the cupcake.  I slathered chocolate buttercream over the dome, not terribly thickly.  Then, I added the squiggly line!

 I really liked how they came out...
 And now for the test.
Thumbs Up!
 Marshmallow Filled Chocolate Cupcake

Chocolate Cupcake:
1 box golden yellow cake mix
1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 T cocoa powder
oil, water and eggs according to package directions

Mix oil, water and eggs with a mixer.  When fully combined, add remaining ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Line 24 muffin cups with muffin papers.  Fill each cup 5/6 full.  This will help create a domed shape.  This will not fill all 24 muffins cups, only somewhere between 20 and 22.
Bake at 350 for 18 - 22 minutes.
Let cool 5 min in pan.
Place on cookie rack and let cool thoroughly.

Marshmallow Filling:
3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
2 T butter at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 - 4 T water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Combine fluff, butter and vanilla.  Whip with a mixer.  Dissolve salt in water.  Add powdered sugar to fluff mixture and add 2 T water to start with.  Add additional water as needed.  Whip until mixture is thick and smooth.
Place in a pastry bag.

For each cooled cupcake, use a knife and cut a rounded pyramid out from the top of each cupcake.  Set aside.  Fill the cavity with some marshmallow filling and replace the cap.  It might stick up a bit, but don't worry.  It will be hidden with luscious chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
1/4 cup softened butter
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp salt
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted (2 oz)
1 - 2  T milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix butter, sugar and salt until fluffy.  Add milk and vanilla.  Slowly beat in melted chocolate.  (The longer you mix, the lighter the color the chocolate will be.)
Let cool in fridge for 10 minutes before frosting cupcakes.

Frost each marshmallow filled cupcake.  Using leftover marshmallow cream, pipe a squiggly line on the cupcake.

Keep in fridge until ready to eat.  The chocolate frosting becomes like fudge.  Decadent and delicious.

Allie likes it with a glass of milk!

No comments: