Sunday, January 09, 2011

What I'm Reading: Author Nevada Barr

I love to read.  I am a reader and read everything.  I read fiction (stories, plays, novels), non-fiction (text books, editorials, personal accounts), cookbooks, art instruction books, even manuals!  When I find an author that I like, I try and read all the books by that author.  Sometimes the authors are prolific and write a series based on a character and sometimes the author writes many series.
I always find it interesting to read works by the same author where the main characters are vastly different.

Recently, I stumbled on the author Nevada Barr.  She has written quite a few books.  She has written a  series based on the character Anna Pigeon, a National Park Ranger.
Her Anna Pigeon novels are very interesting and well written.  Each book takes place at a different national park, where the park ranger is involved in solving a murder.  
Barr's writing is well done and her description of the various parks where each novel takes place is brilliant.  She describes the trails, views and characteristics of each park so well, that they become pivotal to the story.

Nevada Barr was a National Park Ranger which adds to the credibility and accuracy of the novels.

I immediately thought of my brother when I read my first Anna Pigeon mystery.  I am not sure if he likes murder mysteries, but I know he would enjoy the park settings.  
Here are a listing of the Anna Pigeon books in order.

Track of the Cat  Guadalupe Mountains National Park
Superior Death  Isle Royale National Park
Ill Wind  Mesa Verde National Park
Firestorm  Lassen Volcanic National Park
Endangered Species Cumberland Island National Seashore
Blind Descent Carlsbad Caverns National Park
Liberty Falling Statue of Liberty National Monument
Deep South Natchez Trace Parkway
Blood Lure Glacier National Park
Hunting Season Natchez Trace Parkway
Flashback Dry Tortugas National Park
High Country Yosemite National Park
Hard Truth Rocky Mountain National Park
WinterStudy Isle Royale National Park
Borderline Big Bend National Park
Burn New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park

2 comments:

DamianC said...

Oh Yes,I do like a good mystery murder or not.
I think I may have to look into this series.

DamianC said...

Looks Like Nevada will have to do one in Acadia Park in Maine, for a more local flavor!