Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stay Calm and Carry On...

We all have demons that we carry around with us.  Sometimes, it seems easy enough to ditch them, but most of the time, they tend to hang on with all their might.
My biggest demon is that I get worked up and unnerved about things.  I have a hard time letting things go and I am famous for saying "Let's calm the hell down".
Of course, this statement doesn't tend to work as intended.  There are times when it does help me - mainly because I realize the absurdity of the statement and inwardly giggle, but other times, I need more help.

Here are some things that help me, when I have the luxury to time to try and calm down...
1. Exercise - something that physically tires me out tends to exhaust me and this calms me down.
2. A Few Deep Breathes - followed by a few more
3. A Cup of Hot Tea - mainly because I have to wait to let it cool...
4. A long drive
5. A good laugh

These are the things that allow me to be distracted from my worries and my concerns.  Hopefully, it gives me the emotional distance to consider my concerns with a more sensible mind.

And, if your demons are similar to mine here is a list of 50 suggestions to help you calm the hell down.

No comments: