Monday, March 14, 2011

Recipe: Meyer Lemon and Shallot Crostini

Remember my post about tender Meyer Lemons?  I was looking forward to trying the bread topping made with the lemons, shallots and rosemary.
I made the topping and it is delicious.  I toasted some ciabatta slices and spooned generous portions on top. The flavors were a rich savory blend of caramelized shallots (which I loved), roasted lemons, rosemary and a touch of garlic.  Very delicious and unusual.  The lemon flavor is quite refreshing and tangy.  Eating the whole lemon, skin, pith and flesh is quite unusual as well!


If you can't find the Meyer lemons, I would definitely still make this, just use the lemon flesh without the pith and skin.  On normal lemons, this would impart a bitter taste.  But the tangy flesh would still be welcome!


I modified the recipe (as usual) and added a minced garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste.  This would be even better with a splash of balsamic added at the end of roasting.  Yum!


2 Meyer Lemons, washed and sliced
3 T olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced6 -8 whole shallots (cut thick slices unless the bulbs are tiny)
Salt and pepper
Quarter the slices of lemon.  Combine all ingredients and roast at 375 for 25 minutes.  You want the shallots to caramelize and the topping to melt together.  More time may be needed. Serve on top of grilled bread.

No comments: