Thursday, March 10, 2011

Recipe: New York Style Pizza Sauce

I have discovered the secret to a traditional "New York Pizza".
It is the sauce.
And it is not pretty.
While I am very pleased that the outcome is "right on the money", I am saddened that it is derived from canned tomato paste and powdered spices.  It almost feels like cheating.

Am I a pizza snob?  Well, I didn't think, but alas, I am.

This sauce "makes" the pizza.  This is tasty, slightly spicy, slightly sweet.  Just like the giant 24 inch pizzas. And it is good. Too good.
But, the food snob in me wants to ask,"Where are the tomatoes?  Where are the fresh ingredients?  Why is this so good without them?"
I try not to focus on this.  Instead, I will enjoy this pizza... on occasion.  

I made this pizza using a quick no-knead bread dough. (flour, water, salt and yeast) I just rolled the dough thinly into the pizza shape, painted the crust with olive oil, spread a little pizza sauce on the dough and topped with cheese and scant pepperoni. Oh- this was too good to believe....

12 oz (2 cans) tomato paste (I used Contadina)
15 oz can tomato sauce (I used Contadina)
8 oz water
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp honey
1 tsp anchovy paste
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano, basil, pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
6 T Parmesan cheese, grated

Combine all ingredients except Parmesan cheese in a saucepan.  Stir and simmer until flavors blend - about 10 minutes.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese.  (This can be made ahead of time and frozen.)



No comments: