Saturday, April 02, 2011

Day 2 Gratitude: Similar Tastes and Recipe Almond Raspberry Scones

I love scones.  I love trying new flavors in cafes, baking them myself and trying my hand at my own recipes.  I love reading about Veronica's original scones on her blog!  And I am fortunate that my family is enthusiastic when I attempt my creations and taste tests my scones.

Almond Raspberry Whole Wheat Scones
These scones are different than other scones I have made before because they use almond flour, whole wheat flour and white flour as a base.  The addition of almond flour adds a lovely subtle flavor but also additional moisture.  The raspberries add a pleasant tartness and because there is so little sugar, a light dusting of powdered sugar adds a burst of sweetness that isn't overpowering.  In a lot of ways, they taste more like an elegant pastry than a humble scone.

3/4 cup almond flour (or ground almonds)
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 T sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup light cream
1/2 stick cold butter, cut into pats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 425.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Combine flours, sugar, salt and baking powder.  Add cold butter pats and cut into the flour mixture.  When you are done the mixture will look like crumble sand.
Stir the eggs and cream.
Mix all but 2 teaspoons of the milk mixture into the flour mixture.  Knead the mixture until a dough forms.  Mix in the raspberries.
Spoon large dollops of batter onto baking sheet, keeping all the dollops approximately the same size.
Brush the tops of the scones with the reserved egg and cream mixture.
Bake for 14 - 18 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool on baking rack.
When cool, dust with powdered sugar.

No comments: