Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 23 Gratitude: Health

I am grateful for my health.  I must admit that this is one of the things I take for granted most often.  I am fortunate that I have led a very healthy life.  I had few illnesses in childhood with no major broken bones or  injuries.  I had healthy pregnancies and aside from a few planned surgeries, I have been very healthy.
I was raised with a healthy diet and strong genes.  The women in my family live well into their '90s and are strong and spirited.
I exercise regularly to maintain my good health and I eat a healthy diet.  I am someone who has no desire to get drunk, use drugs or smoke.  I just find them all unappealing.
I can see how age can slow a person down.  I see that recovery takes longer as we get older and how I get tired more easily than I did in my twenties.
But, in order to maintain my health, I find that I have to make it a priority in my life and part of my lifestyle.
I recently had some abdominal surgery.  In preparation for the surgery, I read up and learned that the healthier you are pre-surgery, the better recovery you will have.
I learned first hand that this is 100% accurate for me.
Before surgery, I exercised twice a day to increase my metabolism and keep my body active as I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that for 6 weeks after the surgery.
I ate salads at least once a day, eliminated all alcohol 2 months prior to surgery and got as much rest as I could.
I went into the surgery in fantastic shape.  And all that work paid off.  I came out of the surgery and gave my body time to heal. I watched my food intake, as I was no longer exercising and I ate well.
I recovered quickly and well.
When I look back on how fit I was in high school, I am amazed that it came so easily.  I was active and did sports (for enjoyment) so I did work at it.  But, at the time, it didn't seem like work. Ah, the good old days...

1 comment:

piero canuto said...

very correct statement.