Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Day 6 Gratitude: Achievable Goals

One of the things that gives me a great sense of achievement is recreating "famous" products.  I enjoy the challenge and the sense that I can do something -- albeit not a life changing goal, but a fun one anyway.  I love to try my hand and make "knock off" versions of baked goods and candies because I see it as an achievement.  Now, I fully realize that it is easy and (usually) cheap to purchase these products at grocery stores, gas stations or department stores.  But, it is fun!  To think that I can make a product that a major national company sells successfully, is a thrill!  
I am so lucky that I can set aside time to research recipes, seek out ingredients and then attempt to create the product!

Reece's Peanut Butter Cups were created in 1928 by Harry Burnett Reece in his basement in Hershey, Pennsylvania.  Reece was a dairy farmer and then worked as a foreman for Hershey's Chocolate Factory.  Reece used Hershey's chocolate in his candy and upon his death, his company was purchased by Hershey's Chocolates.
Reece's peanut butter cups are candies of milk chocolate filled with peanut butter.  This simple combination is delicious!
In order to make them, I found a few recipe versions online and couldn't wait to try to make them.
Here are a few things I did that I feel made them successful.
1. Use good quality milk chocolate.  I used 24 oz Ghiradelli milk chocolate (in baking bars).

 2. Melt the chocolate and then "paint" the melted chocolate in individual tiny muffin liners.
 Be sure to paint the layer thick enough.  If it is too thin, when it sets, just paint on another layer of chocolate.  Your goal is to make the chocolate layer thick enough to support the candy, but not so thick that it is solid chocolate.

 3. Turn the painted liners upside down and let harden.
Meanwhile, make the delicious peanut butter filling. Combine with a mixer:
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs, finely ground

 Turn the chocolate shells over.  Fill each cup about 3/4 full with each filling. Chill until filling is solid.
Top with additional melted chocolate, swirling to create a pretty top.
Chill until set.
Peel off wrappers.

In the future, I will use silicon reusable baking cups (tiny ones) as I think it will be easier to remove the chocolate from the silicon molds than it was from the paper liners.

1 comment:

SOFIA said...

nice! I am going to try this!