Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recipe: Chocolate Covered Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

I found this recipe while reading Devils Food Cake Murder and it sounded appealing.  Allie and I loved oatmeal cookies and I thought the addition of chocolate covered raisins might be tasty.  Normally, I prefer raisins, not chocolate with my oatmeal cookies, but I was willing to be flexible.
This recipe does not make an overly sweet cookie, which I like.  The butterscotch pudding mix is not necessary, but I wanted to try it and see what would happen.  It was a good addition.

Preheat oven to 350
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 T vanilla extract
1 package Butterscotch pudding mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/4 cups chocolate covered raisins

Cream butter and sugars.  Mix in egg and vanilla.  Mix in pudding mix.  Add cinnamon, flour and baking soda.  Slowly mix in oats.  Stir in chocolate covered raisins.
Scoop out by rounded tablespoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes.  Space dough balls as the cookies spread a bit when baking.
Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer each cookie to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.

(Side note: The pudding mix does add a bit of moisture and a bit of color.  Since I don't usually have pudding mix on hand, I would substitute an additional 2 T brown sugar and another egg to the recipe instead of the pudding mix.)





No comments: