Tuesday, July 19, 2011

21 Years and Counting...

Today is our 21st wedding anniversary.  21 years.  Wow!  
I can't even believe how quickly the years have passed.  It seems like just yesterday I was walking down the aisle on my father's arm to see Jon at the altar. As I like to say, Jon has put up with my crap for 21 years now.  But, the truth is he has put up with my creative bursts, power surges, dramatic expressions, complaints, laughs,  my attempts to try my hand at all sorts of tasks.  He has supported me through any challenge I wanted to undertake, some crazy (running a karate school, teaching aerobics at the local gym) and some not so crazy (being involved with the girls at school).  But, with each one, he has helped me figure out a way to do it, to make time to make it work or to just listen to me while I go on and on about something.
He is the first to support my unusual hobbies and has only asked me not to do some when he feels it is dangerous (climbing up a running river to get a snapshot of a waterfall).  Of course, an independent and aggressive woman such as myself sees his concern as a "challenge" and I am more determined than ever to do it.  And when I did and broke my toe, he was there to help carry me out of the water.  Talk about one of my most humiliating days. 
We are mostly compatible, despite our differences.  He loves to go the movie theater and see new movies.  I dread waiting in line and would prefer to wait 6 months and see the DVD.   He is the calm and even keeled one in our relationship.  He usually asks, "how do you feel?" while I have been known to say things like, "Listen, Joker..."
He likes to try new sports and even though I consider myself athletic, I would not have tried kneeboarding, paddle-boarding, tennis and climbing without his desire to learn them! 
I like to try new foods and unusual places to eat.  Jon has gotten much more open minded about this.  He was previously on a roast chicken - mac n'cheese and chicken finger diet.  Now, he routinely enjoys roast lamb, salads and coffee milkshakes.
So, through the years, we have grown to love each other, to meet each other halfway or more on things and to be patient with each other.
I fell deeply in love with Jonathan over 23 years ago and I can honestly say that I love him more now than I did then.  I am blessed.

4 comments:

M said...

Happy Anniversary! 21 years, that's a long time! Hopefully, we will be there one day!

piero canuto said...

Congratulations!
With love, patience and respect, one day at the time, both of you will conquerer anything.

SOFIA said...

Great post, fantastic couple!

Laurie said...

Happy Anniversary!